More or less nothing actually! Which feels really weird after being so obsessed with it for a while, but in fact it’s very natural. I can’t do all the things all the time but I need the occasional shift in focus. Doing just one thing seems like having to eat the same food 3 x 365, even if it’s your favourite.
But I haven’t grown tired of it, in fact it just started out that way, a piece of cloth I didn’t enjoy making and since it required a lot of focus and counting I can’t just get it done and be over with. And then your focus slips away even without headaches. Oh, and did I mention that it’s really skinny thread, the fabric is as thin as fine bed sheets.
Now I’ve cut off the measly stump and rethreading the remaining yarn for another pattern, a straight treadling this time, one colour. It’ll end up something like this:
I did learn some things from my sample; that it is in fact possible to use silk noil singles as warp if you tension it individually (from the cotton), if you are prepared for a few repairs along the way, and what I also did was let those shafts rise and sink a bit more than the others to avoid shuttle contact/snagging. I was also confirmed in my suspicion that I had set the cotton a bit too closely, as I had to beat too hard to get squares. (and being too lazy to resley 1350 ends) They remained squares after a good wash, so even if the fabric is not super drapy I’m happy to have done this test. Learning from failure seems to stick much harder!
I didn’t enjoy the design as much as I’d hoped either, the white is too translucent to show the staggered crosses. But it may make it as a panel somewhere, someday.
The plan now is to get my drafts organized, do some colour swatches, that should be enough to set me off for a winter’s work. I have some wool I want to dye, maybe I’ll wait though until I have actual designs made up so I don’t wind up with the wrong amount. I want to see if I can get bronze from goldenrod again, the ones in my garden have sadly perished, so I need to raid the forest and ditches. Oak and madder are on the table for some dark, oriental inspired patterns.
Lastly I’m working on adding 2 shafts to my small loom to make it a 6. I couldn’t get wood remotely the same size for lamms, which was a bummer, later I saw a cheap twin for sale, which I could have scavenged, but never mind. As long as it works.